We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Spa Night: Give Up Shampoo?? 7/22/2010

Alright, here's a topic that is potentially cringe worthy but I think is worth a try: Give up shampoo and conditioner in favor of a more frugal hair cleansing regimen.
Could you do it? Could you go without shampoo and conditioner? You know what? I'm up for it.
You can read up on the pros and cons of going without oil stripping commercial shampoo in the same post I stumbled on by Alison @ Wholesome Goodness.

I've already been using my Vinegar Shine Rinse in place of dandruff shampoo and have loved the disappearance of flakes! So, I think this is the next step to healthy hair. Basically, here's what I'll be using:
In place of shampoo- Baking soda and water

In place of conditioner- Apple cider vinegar and water


Here are the basics that have me intrigued:
-Commercial shampoos are too harsh and strip the hair of natural oils.
-After a (very) greasy transition period that could last 2 weeks to 2 months, your hair will find it's natural balance and look it's best.
-Baking soda is a gentle cleanser that's good for the earth, your hair and your wallet!
-Vinegar will restore the PH balance in your hair, stimulate the smaller capillaries in the scalp and lock in shine.

Here's marking day 1! No shampoo or conditioner starting today. I hope I can stand it long enough to get through the greasy adjustment period.

Here's how my hair looks today after using baking soda and vinegar for the first time yesterday:


So far, no signs of overt greasiness. I can't believe the shine! It doesn't even shine like that after a homemade Hot Oil Treatment!

 Looking forward to seeing how this all works out. I"m excited that this frugal solution might actually be better for my hair. So, would you try it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...