We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

(Outdoor) Peaceful Space Transformation


I'm linking this project to
UndertheTableandDreaming



Yay!!


Here's the latest in my efforts to make our home a peaceful, relaxing one.

Frugal outdoor rug tutorial:
-Dollar tree placemats (Bamboo? At Dollar Tree? Awesome!)
-Duct tape
-Scissors

Arrange place mats wrong side up on a flat surface with the edges flush against each other.
The spaces left between the mats in this photo are for your benefit. Aww, aren't you special? ;)
Measure, cut and apply duct tape to fit securely where the edges meet (forgot to take a photo of that step).

Aaahhhh.... cute little outdoor rug.
Seeing it when we open the door makes me smile.

And here's what you see as soon as you walk out the door and stop staring at the pretty new bamboo door mat.
My guests and I have already put this relaxing space to good use. It's so nice having a little area to sit and enjoy the fresh air and my pretty plants.
Baby Boy loves to lay on the rug talking to his toy parrot. Another excuse to be outside :)

A few details....
A lovely little collage of plants brightening up one of the corners.

Another Dollar Tree place mat rug. Love it!

Happy sunshiny home for my new plants!
The little crates were a Dollar Tree find as well.
I'm so happy with how this frugal transformation turned out. I hope to add more things to personalize the space as the days go by. For now, I think this is an adorable start!
I plan to use this as a place to rotate my little plants. Right now there are a few in the apartment that will be placed here to soak up sun for a few days and these will be brought inside for a change.

Do you have a spot you could make a little more relaxing? Treat yourself to some frugal ingenuity and brighten up a space you can really enjoy! It doesn't take much, and the results are definitely worth it.

8 comments:

  1. Cute idea....placemats are a great item to use for new projects. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I may have to try that one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. zentmrs- I love this cheat for an inexpensive outdoor rug :) Thanks so much for dropping in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duct tape and the Dollar Store - now that's language I can understand! :) Cute rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you at the Garden Party with this cute tutorial,Kalika! Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda- Woohoo, you're my kind of lady! Thank you for the sweet comment!

    Jami- Oh, I'm ecstatic that there's a linky party just for garden themed projects! Gives me more of an excuse to fuss over my plants :)

    So glad to see you beautiful people commenting! Stop by again anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah ha! I found it!! I was looking for this post because I saw some of these place mats at our "local" Dollar Tree and want to make a mat for our "utility room" that everyone has to walk through to get into our house. It'll be the space for the kids to set their shoes nicely (since we take them off before going in) and it'll help keep the subsequent dirt under control as well! Woo-Hoo! Can't wait to "get her done!" Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, Rachel! So glad you found it :) Hope to see a photo of your cool new rug! I think it's pretty neat you remembered this project!

    ReplyDelete

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...