We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Spa Night: Nail Repair With a Tea Bag

While packing boxes, I broke a nail. Ouch! I couldn't clip it without cutting into my skin so it was time for a repair. This technique has really come in handy, so I thought I'd share. 

Here's what you'll need for a nail repair:

-Nail polish remover & cotton pads
-Nail hardener. Looks like regular clear nail polish, but will have 'nail hardener or nail strengthener' on the label.
-Tea bag, emptied of tea
-Scissors
-Nail file
-Nail buffer

And here we go!
Forgive the blurry photos... Can you see it? The tear goes from the side of my finger to more than halfway across my nail.

Like my weird paint job? Last week I was trying out new nail polish colors. Hee hee...


STEP 1: Clean your nail of any residue/polish with a swipe of nail polish remover on a cotton pad.

STEP 2: Cut a piece of the teabag into a piece that roughly fits your nail.


STEP 3: Cut that piece into just enough to cover the break.
My scissors was dull :(


STEP 4: Apply nail hardener to the break. Don't miss any spots.

STEP 5: Place tea bag section over the break, gluing each part of the paper to nail with nail hardener. Smooth out any air bubbles and make sure the paper adheres well to the nail.


STEP 6: Paint nail hardener over top of paper, sealing it further.
Trim any edges hanging over the tip of nail or sides of finger.

STEP 7: Once dry, buff the paper smooth and paint as usual (base coat, polish, top coat). It will blend in with the rest of your nail, but act as a splint to keep it from painfully snapping. Will last 1 to 2 weeks as your nail grows and you will be able to perform every day tasks without any problems or fear of breakage.

I wasn't able to do the last step because I was in AR and my nail buffer was in MO, but it really does work. The next time I do it, I'll have to take a photo of the finished product.

FUN FACTS: I've done this before for all my nails (unbroken) to make them stronger and less prone to breaking. I love this tip! Professional salon suppliers sell expensive papers to repair breaks, but a tea bag works just as well!

Do NOT use regular clear nail polish for this. I guarantee, it won't hold.

Don't forget to take time for yourself! Happy pampering :)

1 comment:

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...