The following one is much more economical and just as tasty.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet inside oven and preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk until light. Add milk and stir. Gradually whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt.
- Remove skillet from oven and reduce oven heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt butter in hot skillet so that inside of skillet is completely coated with butter. Pour all the batter in the skillet and return skillet to oven.
- Bake until puffed and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Remove promptly and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
For a change, I chopped up an apple and browned the cubes in butter, adding a little bit of brown sugar, thickened the mix with a bit of cornstarch and a touch of vinegar and voila! A thick, pleasantly sweet, slightly tart apple topping that was a huge hit :)
Yum. Cut and serve while it's hot. Happy Weekend, people!