We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cove Cleaning Recap Day 5

Guest bath.

Soap scum is attacking the citadel! The people cry out for deliverance.

Who will save them?

As is evident throughout history, in time of great need, a hero arises. Ready for anything, championing the cause of the common man.
After some struggle, our hero triumphs!


Well, holy shining bathtub, Batman....

No, I'm not crazy. Just weird.
Seriously, though, how awesome is baking soda and vinegar?

There's some permanent discoloration that I'm hoping will be covered up with new caulk.
And the weird criss crossy pattern on the bottom of the tub? I have no idea how to get rid of it, short of painting the tub. I'm thinking it's whatever is underneath the tub or that the layers in the tub are wearing away revealing the core?
The main thing is, I don't know what to do to make it better besides a colorful non slip mat to distract renters when they come for a viewing.
Suggestions?

Where the tub meets the floor.

Much better.
So much re-caulking needs to be done in this house.

The rest of the floor alongside the tub. See the before photo of the corner? Imagine that all along here. Only now, it's clean :)
Is it sad that all I see in this photo is more work? As in new grout and caulk. *sigh*

Frugal tip:
Did you know you can wash plastic shower liners? I recently read about it and nope, I've never thought of washing them. I was going to toss this one but after reading that tip, the cheapskate in me protested. I checked the liner for rips and it was perfectly fine, just discolored, so I figured I'd give washing it a try. After all, it's one of those better quality mold resistant ones and if it can last a little longer, why not? Saving a few pennies is always a good thing in my book!

Before.
A strange pink film collects on the shower liners and in every corner of the bath areas in both bathrooms. As you can see, it's only on the bottom half of the plastic curtain.

Into the washing machine it went. Hot water, gentle cycle.
Some people online were saying their liners weren't coming out clean, so I added a few towels for friction and a cup of vinegar.
I've gotta say, it worked pretty well. Not totally back to it's original color, but definitely clean.
It would melt in the dryer, but since it's plastic, it doesn't matter. It can be rehung on the shower curtain rod wet and air dry just fine.

Thanks to my awesome bro for rehanging it! And for cleaning the rest of the bathroom. I was so not wanting to do it after scrubbing that tub all day. You're wunnerful, twevuh!

And back to the kitchen cabinets. Continuing clockwise. Now we've come around to the sink.
Yay! Finally! It's the halfway mark :)

Here they are dirty...

Close up of the left one. Cracked on the bottom and swimming in stains.

And now clean to match the left side of the kitchen.  Being clean really brings out the bad caulk job doesn't it? This workmanship is all over the house. Why didn't I realize this when we bought it?
All I can mark it down to is newbie home owner syndrome. I didn't know what I was looking for.


Things are coming along slowly but surely. Some days I think the tasks will never end! There's light at the end of the tunnel, though. I'm so tired of cleaning and thinking about cleaning and blogging about cleaning. Oh well. It keeps me focused, I guess. Good night, all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...