It seems the previous owner used a sprayer to paint all the rooms, including the light switches and outlets. Not a great look. To top it off, it is flat paint so it absorbed every smudge and print left by frequent use.
This was my very first time changing out switch plates, so I figured I'd document it.
STEP 1: Use a box cutter to cut through the paint attaching the plate to the wall. Do not cut into the drywall! Notice the angle of the blade. All that was needed was to separate the plate from the wall.
STEP 2: Using a screwdriver, remove the tiny screws and then lift off the plate.
STEP 3: Install the new plate with new screws, making sure it's straight.
These took less than 2 minutes each. I can imagine how quickly it would go replacing plates that aren't fused to the wall with paint.
Repeat on outlet covers.
You can see the switches and actual outlets are still caked with paint, but it looks a whole lot better. I was excited to do this little makeover! During my cleaning, I came across a bunch of these plates Hubby collected while he was working construction. I think it makes a big difference! Not perfect, but much better. Only a few more plates to go before I'm done with this little project.
I found remnants of a pretty (but dated) wallpaper under the kitchen light switch plates. I'm curious now what this place looked like originally.... it has me daydreaming about the people who may have lived here.
Well... back to the grindstone. I get to see my man soon! Yay!!