We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Homemade Interchangeable Flipflop Bling

So the other day I was in a boutique and saw a thing called Switchflops, which are basically flip flops that have a metal snap where you can place decorative flowers or faux jewels on your flip flops depending on your outfit. Well, I thought I just had to have some, but wasn't going to pay $20 and up for them. I've racked my brain until I came up with a homemade solution and now I cannot wait until the warm weather sticks around so I can show them off! Also, I've got visions of flip flop bling made out of fashion jewelry... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

If you've already done this for yourself, my cheap creative heart salutes you. And why didn't you tell me???
;-) Here you go homemade divas. Enjoy the endless possibilities to prettify your flip flops and show off your pedicure this spring and summer!


Here's the type of glue I use for all my projects. It's amazing! Once it dries it's permanent, waterproof but flexible. Perfect for hair or flipflop bling :)


I started out with 2 pairs of plain flip flops. They're on sale everywhere! Big Lots has them for $2 a pair and Old Navy is selling tons of colors and sizes for $2.50 a pair if you buy 2. I can't get them at WalMart because I have a latex allergy and theirs always seem to make me break out in hives, but anyway.....

Place a line of glue on the underside of the straps in this area.
Let the glue cure for 1 or 2 minutes until it becomes tacky.

Measure and cut a 2 1/2 piece of ribbon. This will work for larger feet which I *ahem* have. You can measure and figure out what length you need once you see what it's for.
You'll need 2 precut pieces of ribbon for each flip flop.
So I cut 8 for my two pairs of flip flops.

Place one piece of ribbon on the underside. Be sure only half the ribbon is glued to the underside. The other half will need to wrap over to the top.

Here's how it should look from the top after you apply the ribbon to the glue underneath.

Place a dab of glue on the end of the ribbon...

And fold it over the top. Press firmly into place. Repeat on other side so ribbons overlap each other.
You'll have a ribbon X with ends glued down and no glue in the center. We need the top center to stay glue free so you can add your bling.

Clamp into place with clothespins or whatever you have. I used alligator hair clips because I have a ton.
Let cure for 24 hours for best results and then remove clamps.

I made a few 2 inch flowers to personalize my flip flops. They're attached to alligator clips. I'd like to find smaller clips than these next time, but it's what I had.

Place the bottom of your clip through the unglued loop we created with the ribbon pieces.

Oh the pretty frilly girly possibilities!




So yeah... now I'm on the lookout for brooches and clip on earrings in the clearance sections to add more bling to my flip flops!

Hope you are inspired to make some pretties for yourselves, Beauties! Have a wonderful weekend!



3 comments:

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...