We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Weekend Brekkie: Pani Keke Samoa and Strawberry Yogurt

Samoan pancakes are always a breakfast favorite around here! I made these the other day when Hubby was home, but saved the photos for this post :) I started cooking and Hubby asked what I was making. I said "Just pancakes". Later, he came in the kitchen and peeked at the stove and said "Those aren't pancakes. It's Pani Keke! Mmm." Haha. My island boy at heart.

Pani Keke Samoa
  • 3 ½ Cups Flour
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ Cups Water
  • Abt. 3 ½ Cups Vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients and water, folding together until well blended. My mix turned out a bit dry this time, but usually that amount of water is just right.
Heat oil and test with a tiny drop of dough. When dough immediately rises to the top, the oil is ready. If the dough drop burns, reduce the heat and wait a few minutes for the temperature to lower and test again.

One trick I learned from making this a lot is to dip the spoon in the hot oil before scooping the dough. It makes it much easier to slide the dough into the oil.
Cook until keke is golden brown. When a skewer inserted in the center of keke comes out clean, it's ready to be placed on a draining station. I usually use a layer of newspaper covered with a few layers of paper towels on a platter.

Baby Boy loved it and kept coming back in the kitchen for more. Pani keke are best warm. American versions coat the keke with cinammon sugar before serving on ice cream. Personally, I love them with butter, jam and a hot cup of coffee.

Natural yogurt (plain) with fresh strawberries and honey. So good! I'm going to try making crock pot yogurt sometime. Baby Boy and I are watching Disney cartoons and hanging out. Happy lazy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...