We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weekend Brekkie: Boxty

I made boxty! Very filling and entirely delicious, which is amazing to me because I don't really like potatoes. I'm more of a rice kind of girl. Hubby, however, loves the tubers so I'm trying to find ways to use them more. Baby Boy is turning out to have a hankering for spuds too, so I guess it's a good thing that there are a world of different ways to have potatoes.

So, the recipe says use grated potatoes. Surprise! I forgot to pack my grater. Huh. So, 3 cups thinly sliced potatoes it is :)

Coat with 2 cups flour

Mix well 4 Tbs milk with 2 eggs

Add to potatoes and mix well until potatoes are well coated with a thick batter. Better use your hands for this part.

Heat 1/4 cup oil in a pan and place boxty in sizzling oil in 2 to 3 inch wide patties. Cook for 3 to 4 min on each side until golden brown. Drain and serve with a pat of butter on top and a side of your favorite meat.
I forgot to take a photo of the finished ones! Well, that's because I couldn't make them fast enough for our growing boy to eat. Hubby and Baby Boy were in tasty tater cake heaven.

Yesterday, I shaped left over mashed potatoes into patties and browned them for lunch. So, imagine the beautiful golden brown and deliciousness of this photo on the boxty in the last photo :) Only the boxty tasted much much better. Baby Boy loved the mash patties, which made me start searching for more potato recipes. So, I have my little man to thank for finding the boxty recipe :) Now I can't wait to try colcannon! Maybe for to'ona'i (Sunday dinner)! Yum.

Up for a quick peek at the 'boxy' sizzling away in the pan. He told me the boxty was singing :)

And back to cooking his own ' yum yum boxy' in the drawer next to the stove :) He kept giving me tastes of his dish. I think he was hoping that I'd return the favor.

I feel like Baby Boy and I have worked extremely hard this week, so we're having a Jammie Party! Which means we get to stay in our PJs for as long as I can stand it and watch cartoons and play tag and pillow fight and generally act like very silly people with no responsibilities. I hope you all have a lovely jammie wearing weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...