We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Love Dare #17 Just to Know You More

 Summer 2010

DARE 17: Determine to guard your mate's secrets (unless they are dangerous to them or to you) and to pray for them. Talk with your spouse, and resolve to demonstrate love in spite of these issues. Really listen to them when they share personal thoughts and struggles with you. Make them feel safe.

Praise the Lord that critical words didn't come as I listened to Hubby's concerns! I know a short time ago I would have given my opinion instead of listening fully. After a very honest conversation, I was able to acknowledge what Hubby had shared with me and be confident that I can pray specifically and more effectively for him. I hadn't realized how important it is to offer to listen after establishing a supportive environment for him to air his thoughts in. It also made me realize again what a wonderful man he is! His biggest concern is worry for me and Baby Boy and I am now able to do more of my part by encouraging him that he is doing well as husband and father and by praying that these worries will be surrendered to the Lord.

Song of Solomon 6:3 is quoted in the book in reference to this dare.
 "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."
Hubby and I both love that passage, but it has a whole new meaning to me now. It's not just about ownership, or husband/wife rights like I had thought before. I now see it as an encouragement. We were given to each other to keep each other's hearts, guard each other's peace of mind and when doubt creeps in, to point the other back to the Lord. What a wonderful, reassuring thing to know! And what a blessing marriage is! I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine..... Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...