We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Love Dare #29 Love's Motivation

DARE 29: Before you see your spouse again today, pray for them by name and for their needs. Whether it comes easy for you or not, say "I love you," then express love to them in some tangible way. Go to God in prayer again, thanking Him for giving you the privilege of loving this one special person- unconditionally, the way He loves both of you.

Loving someone anyway, even when they give me no reason to love, has not been my strong point. The only one I've truly tried to do this with is Hubby, and I've got to say, it's rough! Even with such a good man, there are bound to be disagreements, flat out arguments and the oh so deadly silent treatment.

But I'm beginning to see that perhaps it doesn't have to be so terrible. Perhaps it's my perception of it that is the problem.

After much reflection, prayer and tears, I've realized that in my case, it boils down to pride. I have always been one of those girls who tells you what she thinks. I've lost many a friend that way, and have learned the hard way that sometimes my opinion is better kept silent. However, in this society where women were not allowed to vote until less than a century ago, I sometimes mistake pride for refusing to be a feminine doormat. I see now there are many situations where I use sticking up for my gender as an excuse to cuttingly voice my opinion.

Praying for Hubby is a daily act of love now (Dare 16), but this was such a great reminder for me to use the prayer time to strengthen my love and compassion for him. With this change of motivation, I felt eager to see Hubby today and was very happy to be near him when he came home. Amazing how love and intention can change one's perspective of the every day things, like a spouse arriving at home the same way they do every day. Only it's different now because no matter what's happened in the past and what may happen, you have determined to love them. I'm beginning to see just how deep God's love for us goes, and how thankful I am for it, in light of all my sins.

Lord, thank you for the gift of prayer. Please forgive my sin of pride and help me to nurture and not tear down with my words. Thank you for my wonderful Hubby and the love he has for me and Baby Boy. Help me to fulfill the purpose you gave me when you brought Hubby into my life and allowed us to be married. Let me love unconditionally and to always lean on You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...