We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Love Dare #27 Love Encourages

DARE 27: Eliminate the poison of unrealistic expectations in your home. Think of one area where your spouse has told you you're expecting too much, and tell them you're sorry for being so hard on them about it. Promise them you'll seek to understand, and assure them of your unconditional love. 

I often expect Hubby to help me install decor, rearrange furniture, etc on his days off. I also expect him to help with Baby Boy the mornings he doesn't have to work. The way I see it, Baby Boy and our home are both of our responsibilities. I do what I can during the time I am alone, but when Hubby is around, I expect to equally share duties. And sometimes I can be a bit of a pain about reminding him of that. But the more I watch Hubby, I see that he actually does make my day easier when he's at home. He does the laundry, takes the trash out, does the dishes, he cooks, helps with Baby Boy's potty training, and he puts Baby Boy to bed each of his nights off. The bedtime routine is a big deal because it takes nearly 30 minutes to wind Baby Boy down with books, lullabyes and snuggles every night, so I'm very thankful for the free time I'm left with when Hubby takes over.

Obviously, Hubby is very involved in our home and with Baby Boy. The problem lies in my wanting him to do so much more than he does. I do appreciate what he does, but there are some bigger projects that I need
help with and I am easily frustrated when we don't get around to it. But here's what I've realized:

-Hubby's time off is limited and we need that time to shop for groceries, relax from our schedules, and do activities as a family.

-If the decor doesn't get hung, or a project has to wait another week, it isn't the end of the world.

-Most days off, Hubby lets me sleep in and he takes care of our son until I drag my lazy bones out of bed. So I should really stop harping about the infrequent days when he sleeps in.

-I have a wonderful, involved man who is an amazing hubby and daddy.... and who could use some appreciation and a break from nagging about the few things he doesn't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...