We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Cucumber Sandwiches

I found this recipe at AngelFire.com and had to try it. I bought the basket of cucumbers the other day in the hope of making cucumber sammich, as Baby Boy says. Now that I have a package of neufchatel cheese in my fridge, it's the perfect time! Mmmmm...
As I gathered my ingredients, I wondered if there were any way to spice it up. A quick google search yielded the recipe below and I realized something mind blowing: I've been making the boring version my whole life! What I usually do is spread some cream cheese on the bread, slap on thinly sliced cucumbers and voila: Cucumber sandwich. Right? Oh no. This "Best Cucumber Sandwich" recipe is much more fabulous than that. I was already in love with my plain version, but this! This is a cuke sandwich symphony! I love to have hot tea around 3PM every day and this sandwich with tea is a perfect combo.

Here's the recipe as I found it along with my photos:

Best Cucumber Sandwiches




1 medium cucumber
1/2 cp. cider vinegar
1 cup water

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened (lite is good)
1/4 cp. mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion salt
dash Worcestershire
1 loaf sliced, firm-textured bread
garnish-thinly sliced pimento-stuffed green olives or paprika

Score cucumber lengthwise with fork (for looks) and slice thin.



In medium bowl, combine vinegar and water, add cucumber slices; let stand at room temp. at
least 30 min.



Drain WELL.



Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, mayo, garlic powder,
 onion salt and Worcestershire.



Cut bread slices into rounds




(or any shape you want, with a cookie cutter) and spread with cream cheese mixture. Top each with a slice of cucumber.










Shortly before serving


top with olive slice or paprika, or both.







Makes about 48 round tea sandwiches.



You can also add a little dab of cream cheese/mayo and top with a baby shrimp.



Note:  To make these the night before, cover with SLIGHTLY damp paper towels, then




cover the whole plate with foil. Keep in fridge and they'll be just great. 


Yum! You can see I didn't have the heart to waste the crusts. Baby Boy and I liked them just fine.

He got to chomp on the pretty one for the first photos.

Even after making all those sandwiches, I had one layer of cucumber slices left. So, I wrapped this plate in foil, as is and placed it in the fridge for tomorrow.
I don't think I can go back to my plain old cucumber sandwiches after this!

Have you found a twist on an old favorite?

Linking to:

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Swagging!

Recommended reading and other products...